Lying Rotation Stretch
1. Lie on your side on the floor with the knees bent to ninety degrees.
2. Place the arms out in front of you with the palms facing each other.
3. Slowly slide the top hand over the bottom arm toward your chest and across to the shoulder. Allow the trunk to rotate and slowly extend the arm from the shoulder and then the elbow, reaching out with the fingertips and turning the head to look down the line of the arm.
4. Make sure the pelvis and hips are still pointing forward.
5. Reverse this sequence and finish by sliding the palm of the top hand beyond the bottom hand. Repeat slowly and continuously six times then roll over and repeat on the other side.
Breathing for health exercise
Sit comfortably in an upright chair with your back supported and your feet on the floor.
Place your hands on either side of your lower ribcage with your fingers resting on your upper belly.
Take a gentle breath in to your hands, feeling for the rounding of your abdomen. Appreciate the sensation of your fingers moving gently apart as your abdomen rounds. Allow this to happen.
As you breathe out your abdomen narrows whilst the fingers of each hand move toward each other.
Continue with this gentle breathing pattern for several minutes. Allow any thoughts to drift away by returning your focus to breathing movements occurring at your hands.
When you feel ready to end the exercise, take a full breath in and out. Then return your awareness to the place you are sitting in. Slowly continue with your daily activities.
1) Sit tall with your knees bent and soles of your feet together.
2) Allow your knees to separate until you feel a stretch sensation in the inner thighs and groin.
3) Place your hands at your toes and lean forward from the hips (not the back).
4) Hold the stretch for 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.
Top Shoulder, Upper Arm Stretch
To release shoulder and triceps tightness:
In a comfortable standing or sitting position raise your right arm to place your right hand behind your neck/upper back.
Hold the right elbow with your left hand and GENTLY pull your elbow down behind your neck, feeling for a comfortable stretch.
Hold the stretch for 10 to 15 seconds.
Do not hold your breath. Allow your breathing to flow during the arm/shoulder stretch.
Do 3 stretches each side.
Stretch of the Month
- Start standing on one leg on a stair or curb, with your heel hanging off the back.
- Gently press your heel toward the ground until you feel a gentle pull along the back of your lower leg.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Then slowly bend your knee slightly, until you feel the stretch move lower on the calf.
- Hold 30 seconds.
6. Switch legs, repeating twice on each side
1. Lie on your left side with head and neck supported using folded arm or a pillow.
2. Take hold of your right ankle/foot and allow the right knee to be moved back. Your heel is moving to your butt.
3. Appreciate the feeling of the front thigh stretch, holding for 30 seconds
4. Repeat stretch 3 times.
5. Change to right side lying and repeat the left quadriceps stretch 3 times.